------------------------
Michelle Lesley gets pretty nasty here. Her hostile responses to this man's statement seems to indicate that she doesn't like to be disagreed with. She disproportionately mocks, denigrates, and disrespects the man for no other reason than he finds a particular Bible teacher to be of benefit.
I like to take the opportunity in these potpourri editions to let new readers know about my comments/e-mail/messages policy. I’m not able to respond individually to most e-mails and messages, so here are some helpful hints for getting your questions answered more quickly. Remember, the search bar (at the very bottom of each page) can be a helpful tool!
Or maybe I answered your question already? Check out my article The Mailbag: Top 10 FAQs to see if your question has been answered and to get some helpful resources.
The other day, a man left this comment on my Facebook page on a 2022 post* in which I shared my article about Tara Leigh Cobble / The Bible Recap / D-Group (henceforth, “TLC”). I wanted to share my response to him with you (below, slightly edited) to provide an example of how to think biblically and critically, as well as respond biblically to one unbiblical claim professing Christians often make about false teachers.
A doctrine that’s crucial to keep front of mind in situations like this is the doctrine of the authority of Scripture. When we’re presented with a choice of believing rightly handled (2 Timothy 2:15), in context Scripture or believing a fallen, sinful human being’s personal testimony, beliefs, opinions, etc., which conflict with Scripture, we are commanded and obligated to believe Scripture over that person’s testimony.
(*Why do people dig up Facebook posts from years ago to comment on? I’m baffled.)
You are sadly mistaken! She has completely changed my bible study for the better by making the scriptures speak to me. She and her ministry are truly blessed by God!!
I’m afraid all your comment has accomplished is to prove that everything I said in the article is true.
1 Tim. 2:12 But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet.
2 Timothy 3:13 But evil men and impostors will proceed from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived.
Romans 16:17-18 Now I urge you, brothers, to keep your eye on those who cause dissensions and stumblings contrary to the teaching which you learned, and turn away from them. 18 For such men are slaves, not of our Lord Christ but of their own [a]stomach, and by their smooth and flattering speech they deceive the hearts of the unsuspecting.
Second Timothy 3:7 clearly says that those who follow false teachers are “never able to arrive at a knowledge of the truth.”
In actual fact, the verse refers to the evil people who are "never able to arrive at a knowledge of the truth,” not that their followers are "never able to arrive at a knowledge of the truth.” Let's quote it:
2Ti. 3:6-7 They are the kind who worm their way into homes and gain control over weak-willed women, who are loaded down with sins and are swayed by all kinds of evil desires, 7 always learning but never able to acknowledge the truth.
out of this sort indeed are those who entering into households and leading captive weak women burdened with sins being led away by passions
- "That was a great sermon, pastor Gary." Approved or not?
- "I liked your point about that verse." Approved or not?
- "I finally understand that verse. You really opened it up for me." Approved or not?
- "That was a truly inspired explanation, pastor." Approved or not?
- "I have never heard a better teaching, reverend." Approved or not?
- "Pastor John is one of the best Bible teachers in the world." Approved or not?
It seems Ms. Lesley hasn't been taught in how to refute false teachers by "rightly handled, in context Scripture.")
In Matthew 7:15-27, Jesus teaches us about the fruit false teachers bear. (Why not quote it?)
As someone who follows, receives teaching from, and defends TLC, you are the fruit of her ministry. And, as I’ve outlined above, that fruit is ignorance of, misunderstanding of, and disobedience to Scripture. (Really snotty.)
TLC isn’t the great Bible teacher you’ve been deceived into thinking she is. Get out now while you still can.
For further reading: Answering the Opposition- Responses to the Most Frequently Raised Discernment Objections
No comments:
Post a Comment