Disclaimer: Some postings contain other author's material. All such material is used here for fair use and discussion purposes.

Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Bad worship songs: Back To Life - Bethel

From time to to we examine the lyrics of worship songs. Our desire is not to mock or humiliate, but rather to honestly examine content with a view to calling forth a better worship expression.

With the great volume and variety of worship music available, none of us should have to settle for bad worship songs. We should be able to select hundreds or even thousands of top notch songs very easily.

What makes a song a worship song? Is it enough to contain words like God or holy? How about vaguely spiritual sounding phrases? Should Jesus be mentioned?

We think an excellent worship song should contain the following elements:
  • A direct expression of adoration (God, you are...)
  • A progression of ideas that culminates in a coherent story
  • A focus on God, not us
  • Lyrics that do not create uncertainty or cause confusion
  • A certain amount of profundity
  • A singable, interesting melody
  • Allusions to Scripture
  • Doctrinal soundness
  • Not excessively metaphorical
  • Not excessively repetitive
  • Jesus is not your boyfriend
It's worth noting the most worship songs contain at least something good. That is, there might be a musical idea or a lyric that has merit. Such is the case with this song, Back to Life. 

Video link.
---------------------------

Chorus 1

No longer I who live, but Christ in me

For I’ve been born again, my heart is free

The hope of heaven before me, the grave behind

Hallelujah, You've brought me back to life

Verse 1

I won’t forget the moment  I heard You call my name

Out of the grip of darkness into the light of grace

Just like Lazarus oh You've brought me back to life

Verse 2

Where there was dead religion Now there is living faith

All of my hope and freedom are found in Jesus’ name

Just like Lazarus oh You've brought me back to life

Verse 3

When something says I am guilty I’ll point to the price You paid

When something says I’m not worthy I’ll point to that empty grave

Just like Lazarus oh You've brought me back to life

Verse 4

How can I begin to thank You For all that You’ve done for me

Jesus to fully praise You it will take all eternity

Just like Lazarus... Oh You've brought me back to life

Bridge

The enemy thought he had me

But Jesus said you are mine


A Short Correction

Our commentary will be somewhat brief regarding this song, because the song articulates many truths of the faith in a very singable and interesting way.

Except one thing.

Jesus did not bring us back to life. We were dead, not alive:
Ep. 2:1 As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins...

 Until the moment when we were saved: 

Ep. 2:4-5 But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5 made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions — it is by grace you have been saved.

And it wasn't just like Lazarus. 

Lazarus experienced the resurrection power of Jesus when Jesus called him out of the grave, but at some later time he died like all men die. We, however, were called out of death and into eternal life by the death and resurrection of Jesus. This was not the case with Lazarus.

Our salvation is nothing like Lazarus' raising from the dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment