Disclaimer: Some postings contain other author's material. All such material is used here for fair use and discussion purposes.

Wednesday, November 18, 2020

It's never been about if masks are justified. It's always about if mandates are justified - FB Post


  • I posted:

    It's never been about if masks are justified. It's always about if mandates are justified.

  • Paul 
    I understand that sentiment, and it seems like the ones who will not wear a mask, are even less likely to do so if mandated to. Meanwhile, people I know are getting sick. I've had a healthy friend die from it here in Bozeman. Every week, folks I have been on the same job as, end up with the virus. I wear a mask and avoid large gatherings not out of fear of contracting it, but as way to limit the spread of the virus and not give it to someone who may not tolerate it well. My personal freedom is not worth more to me than even one life. That sentiment is not widely shared though.
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 57m
  • Me
    Then you should stop driving your car.

    • Like
    • Reply
    • 27m
    • Paul
      I keep my vehicle well maintained. I put snow tires on in the winter. I actually strive to follow the speed limit. I stop at stop signs and red stop lights. I use my turn signals. I do not drink alcohol, let alone drive under the influence. In short, I follow a set of rules to be as safe as I can on the road and limit the danger to others around me. I wear a seat belt to help ensure my safety in the event of any problems on my end or someone else's. I think all of that is a good comparison to mask wearing.
      • Like
      • Reply
      • 14m
    • Me
      "My personal freedom is not worth more to me than even one life." That seems like a pretty clear standard, but the precautions you describe are not even close to sufficient to ensure it.
      You can only succeed by staying home and having no contact with anyone. Anything else has the capacity to imperil lives.
      • Like
      • Reply
      • 9m
    • Paul
      Turns out I'm a selfish hypocrite. On paper I see your argument. Life is more nuanced than that. I'll continue to do what I can to limit the loss of life in all aspects of life. I won't stop all loss of life, but I will be intentional about guarding life in all its forms.
      • Like
      • Reply
      • 5m
    • Me
      No, you're embracing a standard because it is noble, but it's also impossible. There is a degree of risk and danger no matter what. It's where we decide to draw the line that determines how much peril vs. personal liberty.
      And my point is, we draw that line, except when someone draws it for our own good.
      • Like
      • Reply
      • 2m

No comments:

Post a Comment