Disclaimer: Some postings contain other author's material. All such material is used here for fair use and discussion purposes.

Monday, April 16, 2012

Revival coming

To my pastor:

As I listen to the Spirit, it seems to me that He is saying some very specific things. I write this in the hope that He is saying some of the same things to you. Of course, I may be wrong about what I discern, so please test what I have to say.
I am feeling optimistic. Expectant. I feel my faith growing. I feel like we are nearing a tipping point, or maybe a place of historical note, perhaps like when the Old Testament characters would build an altar at the place where they met God. It makes me think, maybe we are about to meet God. Perhaps He is preparing for a Visitation. Perhaps He is about to pour out His Spirit upon us.

As I’ve prayed over these last few months I am drawn to certain themes time after time. God, let Your name be glorified. God, let us take hold Your promises. God, increase our faith. Open the heavens. Fill us with Your Holy Spirit. Bring revival to this valley, to C3 Church, to our families.

I have been reading about a little-known revival that happened in rural Arkansas in the mid 1940s. It started with only a couple of people praying and worshiping, and grew to the point where nearly every soul in the county was saved. It seems like revivals often start with just a handful of people who are willing to cry out for God’s presence.
It spurred me to begin praying for this very thing. For Him to move in our midst. Healing, salvation, anointing, power. An increase of His love in us, His compassion and mercy. That His word would be deeply rooted in us and bear fruit. These are the things that my prayers are obsessed with. 

One reason I am writing this to you now is because of an answer to prayer. I have been praying for the release of the Holy Spirit in my wife, who for many years has felt marginalized and relatively valueless in the Church. Last week I was praying for her to receive revelation about her place in the Church, for healing and health, but most of all, for her to filled with faith and confidence, that she would be able to freely worship without being preoccupied by distraction. She has the gift of discernment, but when the Spirit reveals negative spiritual forces, this tends to divert her from worshiping.

Today I saw the first fruits of an answer to that prayer. I have never seen my wife stand in front of a crowd and speak, let alone speak with such clarity and conviction. To me, this means that other prayers are going to be answered. That’s what I mean by faith growing in me. If one prayer is answered, why not two or ten or a hundred? After all, God hears from heaven. The broken and contrite spirit He will not despise.

Another reason I write is because my foolish little song was sung in church this morning. It may or may not have been successful, but for me it was significant. The last time one of my songs was sung in church was eleven years ago. God came to that church, and we witnessed a mini move of God in our midst.

Lest I start puffing myself up, I am quick to retreat from any pride. However, I must say, it’s the topic of my song that is significant to me: "Holy Spirit, You are welcome here." This song encapsulates my desire for the glorious habitation of God in C3 church. It is, I think, exactly what God is calling us to: Crying out for His presence.

This is the crux of my presentation: Are we ready to consider a purposeful and committed prayer for revival? Can we have a all night prayer time, once a month perhaps? Can we have extended worship times where we go in with the specific purpose to sacrificially offer up our hearts to God? Can we commit to ushering in the Presence of God by making a way for Him to come? Revival starts with prayer and a bit of faith.

I submit this to you and the rest of the leadership for prayerful consideration.


1Co. 2:4-5 My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power, so that your faith might not rest on men’s wisdom, but on God’s power.

No comments:

Post a Comment