Disclaimer: Some postings contain other author's material. All such material is used here for fair use and discussion purposes.

Friday, June 26, 2020

Frustrations Of A Christian Female Blogger (Probably Not The Frustrations You’d Expect) - by DEBBIELYNNE KESPERT

Found here. Our comments in bold.
-------------------

The author pushes her misunderstanding of doctrine to the point of ridiculousness.
--------------------------

Normally, professing Christian women chafe at the idea of limiting their teaching ministry to other women and small children. (This is normal among "professing Christian women?")

They follow the world in insisting that we have a contribution to make to the whole church, and that our female perspective must be heard. As they see it, the Word of God cannot be fully represented without the female voice.

Huh?

Where does Scripture ever say such a bizarre thing? If the Word of God is breathed out by the Holy Spirit (2 Timothy 3:16), why would a female perspective be necessary? (We don't know what a "female perspective" would be, but we would want to know what basis there is to silence a female speaking the truth of God. The author herself has written extensively, with the desire to target women exclusively. Why does she write her blog? Why doesn't she simply refer her readers to male teachers? What specific role does she think she is fulfilling that men aren't doing?)


Shouldn’t we scratch our heads in bewilderment at the suggestion that men need to hear female voices before they can fully understand what the Bible says? (Term switching. Before it was "female perspective." Now it's "female voices." )

I can’t help wondering if some men — even Reformed men — have started buying into the idea that female voices need to join the conversation.

Logging on to my Twitter Notifications today, I found two tweets by Reformed men, proudly proclaiming that they read The Outspoken TULIP.

I’m flattered, on the one hand, that men of their caliber would think so highly of this little blog. Their admiration humbles me. Who wouldn’t enjoy knowing that godly men valued their work? So part of me deeply appreciates their affirmation of what I write.

On the other hand, my heart sank when I read their tweets. I’d planned to write some more Thoughts About Thinking today, working through a passage of Scripture to teach women how the Lord desires us to direct our thoughts. After reading those tweets, I feel hesitant to write that post.

Most people argue that 1 Timothy 2:12 (Let's actually quote the verse:
1Ti. 2:11-12 A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.)
applies strictly to in person settings such as church services, mixed Sunday School and/or Bible Study groups and Christian conferences where men are in the audience. ("Teach" is didaskóto, ...hold discourse with others in order to instruct them, deliver didactic discourses... The author needs to explain how the fact that men read her blog means she is holding discourse [verbal interchange of ideas; especially: conversation].)

They could be correct, but I don’t feel comfortable pushing that boundary. As I understand God’s Word, women are not to teach men. Period. (Um. The verse says "a woman" and "a man." We discuss this issue in detail here.)

Whenever I see that men are reading my blog, I wonder if I should stop writing. Right now, John is very upset that these men on Twitter have so disrespected my continued pleas for men not to read my blog that I’d consider hanging up the blog entirely. (Note the irony. The author wants to instruct men about what they should read. She is upset that they disregard her instruction. She seems to think that she has some sort of authority over "a man" that allows her to tell them they are violating her doctrine.)

It tears me apart to see my husband so upset.

These brothers in Christ didn’t mean to cause me conflicted feelings about blogging. They sincerely meant to complement me. And I do appreciate their kind intentions. At the same time, it frustrates me to realize that men ignore my requests that they read The Outspoken TULIP only under certain circumstances. John’s right: they’re disrespectful of my boundaries. (No, they are rejecting her teaching them.)

To be clear, I totally support women studying God’s Word. And many men probably need to read the sort of teaching that I provide on this blog. Don’t interpret me as saying that women lack the technical ability to teach Scripture to our brothers in Christ. We don’t.

We only lack God’s permission to teach men. God gives us freedom to teach other women, (Where does the Bible say this? We find but a single reference, Tit. 2:4: 
Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children...
According to the Bible, the only thing the author is allowed to teach women is how to love their husbands and children.)

as well as to teach children. (Hmmm. Where in the Bible does it say that females may teach children? 

And what about male children? Is she also pushing a boundary here, since a boy is a male person?)

We can take great joy in the privilege of teaching those groups. How generous He is to give women opportunities to minister to these two groups!

God has trusted me with this blog. He therefore holds me accountable to use it within the guidelines of His Word. If I rebel by willfully teaching men (knowing that they read my articles), He will hold me accountable. (And she will hold men accountable...)

I pray that my brothers will not place a stumbling block in my path.

No comments:

Post a Comment