Disclaimer: Some postings contain other author's material. All such material is used here for fair use and discussion purposes.

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Objectionable hymns if you're a cessationist?

I have written at length about cessationism, looking for a cogent, solely scriptural presentation for this belief. I have not as of yet found such a thing.

I have found they take great offense at any deviation from their doctrine, and are willing to mock and denigrate people who believe differently.

So, I was just thinking of hymns that cessationists might find objectionable. These great hymns of our faith have lyrics that sound suspiciously charismatic, so I wonder if they are sung in cessationist churches.
------------------------

I Serve a risen Savior
He lives, He lives, Christ Jesus lives today!
He walks with me and talks with me along life’s narrow way


I Come to the Garden Alone
And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own;
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.


To God Be The Glory
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord,
Let the earth hear His voice


O For a Thousand Tongues to Sing
Hear Him, ye deaf; His praise, ye dumb,
Your loosened tongues employ;
Ye blind, behold your Savior come,
And leap, ye lame, for joy.


There Shall be Showers of Blessing
Showers of blessing,
Showers of blessing we need:
Mercy-drops round us are falling,
But for the showers we plead.


Come Thou Fount
Come, Thou Fount of every blessing,
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
Call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
Sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount! I’m fixed upon it,
Mount of Thy redeeming love.


Blessed Assurance
Perfect submission, perfect delight,
Visions of rapture now burst on my sight;
Angels, descending, bring from above
Echoes of mercy, whispers of love.


Tis so Sweet to Trust in Jesus
I'm so glad I learned to trust You,
Precious Jesus, Savior, Friend
And I know that You are with me,
Will be with me to the end.


I Surrender All
All to Jesus I surrender
Make me Saviour wholly Thine
Let me feel the Holy Spirit
Truly know that Thou art mine


Great is Thy Faithfulness
Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth,
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!


Search Me, O God
I praise Thee, Lord, for cleansing me from sin;
Fulfill Thy word and make me pure within;
Fill me with fire, where once I burned with shame;
Grant my desire to magnify Thy name.
O Holy Ghost, revival comes from Thee;
Send a revival, start the work in me;
Thy Word declares Thou wilt supply our need;
For blessings now, O Lord, I humbly plead.

I Need Thee Every Hour
I need Thee every hour, most gracious Lord;
No tender voice like Thine can peace afford.


O For a Thousand Tongues to Sing
He speaks, and, list’ning to His voice,
New life the dead receive,
The mournful, broken hearts rejoice,
The humble poor believe.

Hear Him, ye deaf; His praise, ye dumb, 

Your loosened tongues employ; 
Ye blind, behold your Savior come, 
And leap, ye lame, for joy.

Victory in Jesus
I heard about His healing,
Of His cleansing pow'r revealing.
How He made the lame to walk again
And caused the blind to see;
And then I cried, "Dear Jesus,
Come and heal my broken spirit,"
And somehow Jesus came and bro't
To me the victory.


Revive us Again
Revive us again;
Fill each heart with Thy love;
May each soul be rekindled
With fire from above.

No comments:

Post a Comment