Disclaimer: Some postings contain other author's material. All such material is used here for fair use and discussion purposes.

Monday, October 28, 2013

There's something we're missing about joy - the too somber church

I have been spending time thinking about how the church is so somber. It is happy to tell us to mourn and repent, but rarely tells us (or even, allows us) to celebrate.  There is something we have been missing regarding worship, joy, laughing, and dancing.

The culture of Israel remains to this day a culture of celebration. Since our Christian roots grow out of Israel, why do we not exalt the Lord with singing and dancing? Why are we so self-conscious about raising our hands? Why have we allowed the kill-joys into our midst?

I am more and more persuaded that if we release joy and celebration in our midst, people will be healed, set free, and saved. Consider that in the account of Jesus raising the little girl back to life, he did not allow the mourners into the room: "When he arrived at the house of Jairus, he did not let anyone go in with him except Peter, John and James, and the child’s father and mother. Meanwhile, all the people were wailing and mourning for her. 'Stop wailing,' Jesus said. 'She is not dead but asleep.'” Lk 8:51-52

This is not to say we should not weep and mourn. Especially when it comes to sin, we should certainly do so. But there is a time for mourning and there is a time for joy. Weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning! The sadness of our souls will always give way to the celebration of the King of Kings. The joy of the Lord is our strength, our downcast souls are not. "Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my
Saviour and my God." Ps. 42:5-6

Take a look at this partial list of Scriptures that have to do with celebration/joy/ dancing. I think you will see, like I did, that there is change that needs to happen. I'm changing my attitude to one of rejoicing. 
-------------------------------------

Le. 9:23-24 Moses and Aaron then went into the Tent of Meeting. When they came out, they blessed the people; and the glory of the LORD appeared to all the people. Fire came out from the presence of the LORD and consumed the burnt offering and the fat portions on the altar. And when all the people saw it, they shouted for joy and fell face down.
2Sa. 6:5 David and the whole house of Israel were celebrating with all their might before the LORD, with songs; and with harps, lyres, tambourines, sistrums and cymbals.
2Sa. 6:21-22 David said to Michal, “It was before the LORD, who chose me rather than your father or anyone from his house when he appointed me ruler over the LORD’s people Israel — I will celebrate before the LORD. I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes. But by these slave girls you spoke of, I will be held in honour.”
1Ch. 15:15-16 And the Levites carried the ark of God with the poles on their shoulders, as Moses had commanded in accordance with the word of the LORD. David told the leaders of the Levites to appoint their brothers as singers to sing joyful songs, accompanied by musical instruments: lyres, harps and cymbals.
1Ch. 16:27-29 Splendour and majesty are before him; strength and joy in his
dwelling-place. Ascribe to the LORD, O families of nations, ascribe to the LORD glory and strength, ascribe to the LORD the glory due to his name. Bring an offering and come before him; worship the LORD in the splendour of his holiness. Ec. 3:4 a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance.
Ne. 8:8-12 They read from the Book of the Law of God, making it clear and giving the meaning so that the people could understand what was being read. Then Nehemiah the governor, Ezra the priest and scribe, and the Levites who were instructing the people said to them all, “This day is sacred to the LORD your God. Do not mourn or weep.” For all the people had been weeping as they listened to the words of the Law. Nehemiah said, “Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is sacred to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the LORD is your strength.” The Levites calmed all the people, saying, “Be still, for this is a sacred day. Do not grieve.” Then all the people went away to eat and drink, to send portions of food and to celebrate with great joy, because they now understood the words that had been made known to them.
Ps. 2:11 Serve the LORD with fear and rejoice with trembling.
Ps. 16:11 You have made known [Or You will make known] to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.
Ps. 27:5-6 For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock. Then my head will be exalted above the enemies who surround me; at his tabernacle will I sacrifice with shouts of joy; I will sing and make music to the LORD.
Ps. 30:11 You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy.
Ps. 43:4-5 Then will I go to the altar of God, to God, my joy and my delight. I will praise you with the harp, O God, my God.
Ps. 43:5 Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Saviour and my God.
Ps. 47:5 God has ascended amid shouts of joy, the LORD amid the sounding of trumpets.
Ps. 47:6 Sing praises to God, sing praises; sing praises to our King, sing praises.
Ps. 126:2 Our mouths were filled with laughter, our tongues with songs of joy. Then it was said among the nations, “The LORD has done great things for them.”
Is. 35:10 and the ransomed of the LORD will return. They will enter Zion with singing; everlasting joy will crown their heads. Gladness and joy will overtake them, and sorrow and sighing will flee away.
Je. 31:12-13 They will come and shout for joy on the heights of Zion; they
will rejoice in the bounty of the LORD — the grain, the new wine and the oil, the young of the flocks and herds. They will be like a well-watered garden, and they will sorrow no more. Then maidens will dance and be glad, young men and old as well. I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow.
Lk. 6:21 Blessed are you who hunger now, for you will be satisfied. Blessed are you who weep now, for you will laugh.
Ac. 13:52 And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit. 
Ro. 14:17 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. 
Ro. 15:13 May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Ga. 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, Ga. 5:23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
1Th. 5:16-20 Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. Do not put out the Spirit’s fire; do not treat prophecies with contempt.

No comments:

Post a Comment