Disclaimer: Some postings contain other author's material. All such material is used here for fair use and discussion purposes.

Friday, October 2, 2026

Faceborg conversation: How the church is run, or how to run in the church

Posted on Faceborg:

Me: I don't need to know how my church is run, I need to know how to run in my church.

Elijah: Love the syllogism, the conclusion of which is integrally linked to the initial premise.

I don’t know how everything in my car runs, but I do know how to drive my car. If my car doesn’t work, I take it to Mike: he knows how it runs. There is a dynamical relationship between authority and those they serve: authority must know how the church runs and ensure it is in working order to empower those in it to run at optimal performance. The need in the first half of your statement is the function of authority, and the second half is the need of those they serve.

As I have worked to refine and define my grace in God, I find that the majority of my focus and delight in God is invested in the first half of your statement: I delight in knowing how the church is run and helping service it to help those who run in it. I delight in tuning things to optimal performance and then seeing people romp on that accelerator! Love driving with them, too, but my passion is rooted in the first half of your statement.

Where would you say your passion and focus lays? My sense is that you deeply delight in the mechanics. I love watching you drive your Camaro, but I also see you delighting in the process of cutting out rust, fabricating new parts, painting, polishing, restoring and enhancing. Would you say you carry the same passion towards the church? My sense is your deep delight in your Camaro flows out of the knowledge of all the working parts that are synergized by your hand on the wheel and foot on the pedals.

Does this resonate with your experience and individual grace in God towards the church?

Me: The local church structure's sole purpose is to implement and express its functional objectives as it facilitates the advance of the pleasure of the Lord and His Kingdom. The purpose of the church's structure is different that the purpose of the church itself. The structure is for the purpose, the purpose does not subordinate to or serve the structure.

Churches tend to make the structure the big deal. And people have traditionally valued the structure itself rather than their part in God's work in that context. Thus they stay sheep for decades, enjoying the structure for its own sake. They even take it to the point of pride. "My church has elders who do this and that, and deacons that do these things, and we vote on them every five years."

Ugh.

I have my ideas regarding the structure of our church, and I have knowledge of that structure as well. However, neither are a benefit to me until they connect with me at my point of my passion/gifting. Neither are relevant to me until I connect and am implemented as a part of the whole.

A better way of putting it is, "Ok, so the church has bylaws and a leadership structure. Fantastic. Whatever. Where is my point of impact where I can participate in the ministry of the church?" Therefore, how the car is designed to achieve its intricate balance of processes to get me down the road does not change the fact that I drive it to get from point A to point B. Certainly the design of the car impacts those processes, but the objective remains the same. A car is useless until I drive it.

No comments:

Post a Comment