Disclaimer: Some postings contain other author's material. All such material is used here for fair use and discussion purposes.

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Come Up Here - an exploration of vision and the presence of God

It seems that we are regularly revisiting the idea of vision in our prayers. It was several months ago that the words "lift your vision higher" came to our minds, and we reflected on the idea that our vision as Christians is frequently on our circumstances. But we should be looking up!
Ps. 123:1 I lift up my eyes to you, to you whose throne is in heaven.Ps. 121:1-2 I lift up my eyes to the hills — where does my help come from? 2 My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.
He helps us to look up, because our human strength fails us:
Ps. 3:3 But you are a shield around me, O LORD; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head.Ps. 27:5-6 For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock. 6 Then my head will be exalted above the enemies who surround me…
The spiritual man looks up

Ge. 5:24 Enoch walked with God; then he was no more, because God took him away.
Ps. 104:27 These all look to you to give them their food at the proper time.
Ac. 7:55 But Stephen, full of the Holy Spirit, looked up to heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God.
Characteristics of those who look up
Ja. 4:10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.
Ps. 18:25 To the faithful you show yourself faithful, to the blameless you show yourself blameless…
Ps. 5:12 For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous; you surround them with your favor as with a shield.
Ps. 17:15 And I — in righteousness I shall see your face; when I awake, I shall be satisfied with seeing your likeness.
Ps. 34:15 The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their cry…
So we have our sight set on heavenly things, not earthly things.

But now that we are revisiting vision, we realize that there is more to it than just looking up. God is inviting us up. He desires us to come into His presence, to boldly go into the throne room (Heb 10:19-22). It's good to look up, it's better to go up.

This is the verse that we are building from:
Re. 4:1 After this I looked, and there before me was a door standing open in heaven. And the voice I had first heard speaking to me like a trumpet said, “Come up here, and I will show you what must take place after this.”
John is being beckoned into the heavenly realms, where he receives all sorts of revelation. Lest you think that this is an isolated event, allow us to remind you of some other similar events:
2Co. 12:3-4 And I know that this man — whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, but God knows — 4 was caught up to paradise.
Ezekiel: Ez. 43:5 Then the Spirit lifted me up and brought me into the inner court, and the glory of the LORD filled the temple.
Isaiah: Is. 6:1 In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord seated on a throne, high and exalted, and the train of his robe filled the temple.
Daniel: Da. 7:13-14 “In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man, coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence.
God is always inviting us up
Zep. 1:7 Be silent before the Sovereign LORD, for the day of the LORD is near. The LORD has prepared a sacrifice; he has consecrated those he has invited.
Mt. 22:9 Go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.
Re. 19:9 Then the angel said to me, “Write: `Blessed are those who are invited to the wedding supper of the Lamb!’”
Our position is up
Ep. 2:6 And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus…
Ps. 40:2 He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.
When there we should listen up
Mt. 17:5 While he was still speaking, a bright cloud enveloped them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!”
Lk. 10:39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said.
Jn. 6:45 Everyone who listens to the Father and learns from him comes to me.
Jn. 10:27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.
Think up
Col. 3:2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.
He. 3:1 Therefore, holy brothers, who share in the heavenly calling, fix your thoughts on Jesus…
Act up
Mt. 6:33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
Ja. 1:22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.

No comments:

Post a Comment