Disclaimer: Some postings contain other author's material. All such material is used here for fair use and discussion purposes.

Monday, March 12, 2012

Mr. (Dr.) Johnson responds


Dear Rich,

Actually I do get a little upset when I read your columns, but in this case I thought about it for four days before I wrote my letter, waiting to see if I felt the same--I did. I used the dictionary for your name for some attempt at humor, perhaps lame. Actually I only used the first definition as it leads to the broader definition of the second. You didn't mention Democrats, but nine out of ten people will think you are referring to Democrats when you say left or progressive, particularly when it's you who are using it those terms.

The reason I referred to the Republican candidates is because instead of discussing jobs, they have been talking about laws for social issues. Your second paragraph ends, "There ought to be a law!" Changing a word or so, your third paragraph could read, "if I were a part of the political right, that would be the answer. The right love to tell people what to do. They are all about controlling people's lives, for their own good of course." The Republicans or political right have no problem with laws when it comes to our personal lives. This is particularly evident in the states working for laws that interfere with women's health issues. This addresses your second to last paragraph re big government controlling people.

I agree with you that the Republicans have also screwed up. I was once a diehard Republican. But their attitudes on taxes don't follow the Constitution. They don't appear to realize when you incur debts, they must be paid back with interest--taxes are the usual source. Government does create jobs that private industry won't touch to begin with. An example is NASA. The miniaturization in space technology had a spin off into Silicon Valley and other industrial progress.

People gripe about regulation, but you wouldn't be too happy if I weren't regulated as a physician. You are in insurance and it was not unusual for me to go to bat for a patient with the commissioner when the company wouldn't pay an honest claim. I also had patients who wanted to have me lie for them on an exam or claim and I would say, "if I lie for you, what's to keep me from lying to you?" I also agree that government tends to approach all issues with the same approach, e.g., use an elephant gun to shoot a mosquito as well as an elephant.

As to "values" mentioned in your column yesterday, remember it's tough not to be concerned when your wages have gone down relative to inflation whereas CEOs who have lost money for their corporations get golden parachutes and lots of options. Big banks also eagerly took bailouts and then gave bonuses. Understanding that you are independent in your thinking, ! thought you might find it interesting that in the last 50 years if you had invested one thousand dollars in the market only during each of the Republican eras, you would by now have two thousand and a few hundred dollars. If you had done the same and kept in the market only during Democrat eras, you would have amassed ten thousand dollars.

Finally, it appears to me you vent a lot in your columns with much righteous indignation. Remember, Harry Truman said, "if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen." I spent two years on the Chronicle board from 2002 to 2004, wrote a few guest columns and editorials. I write about four to six letters a year, my last about your column where I actually agreed with you to some degree. Usually when I write a letter to the editor, I can expect one or two positive comments, and occasionally none. In this past letter that we are addressing now, I got one neutral comment and ten thanking me for writing it-­more than any letter I've ever written. The last was when I was skiing yesterday was a waiter at Jimmy B's at Bridger Bowl. I asked him how he knew it was me. He said it was the different spelling of my name.

It appears with you I hit a raw nerve. Although I'd say I'm a progressive, and want to help people down and out, I still belong strongly in personal responsibility. I might add, I have no problem with mandating health insurance. If you choose not to have health insurance and are injured in someway; you should have tattooed on your chest, "Leave me to die as I chose not to be insured." I say this and yet volunteer to see patients who need help at Community Health Partners, am a member of the Local Advisory Council on Mental Health, and volunteer at the Salvation Army and Gallatin Valley Food Bank. I'm including a few essays that give you an idea how I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment