Disclaimer: Some postings contain other author's material. All such material is used here for fair use and discussion purposes.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Editorial, problems in the church

I have been very critical of government in my columns. Government is a target-rich environment and deserves scrutiny. It is a juggernaut, and we tend to think we can’t do anything about it. So, my columns give voice to those who are reluctant to speak up and risk the vociferous attacks from the political left.

In my last column I discussed the problem of the government church. Today I want to share some random thoughts regarding problems in the Christian Church. However, I won’t pile onto the hostile caricatures created by the irreligious. We know how kooky and bizarre some of the criticisms tend to be. No, I’m going to write about the Church as a believer.

Don’t be surprised. I have already criticized the Church for being tax-exempt. A few months ago I wrote, “Churches should drop their tax-exempt status -- they are exchanging silence on politics for a payoff.” Churches should throw off the government yoke and speak freely about sin and redemption.

In the past I have complained that government has stolen our individual obligation for charity by inserting itself into the compassion equation. I hereby retract this. Actually, the Church ceded its obligations and allowed government to take them over. The Church said nothing when the government became a competitor. And now their silence is enforced via tax law. Talk about a deal with the devil!

Recently I learned that a local pastor makes good money in a relatively small church. I wonder how this congregation justifies a salary that is double the average income of its parishioners. I also wonder if there is much money left for looking after “…orphans and widows in their distress…” This is one of the primary missions of the Church, but so many pastors take the lion’s share of their church’s money.

I’ve noticed that some local churches have built beautiful new facilities. I’m sure that these were undertaken in good faith by well-meaning congregations. But would it be impolite to ask what percentage of their budgets are devoted to the poor? I’m hoping it is a substantial number, but I’ve been on more than one church board in my life and know that this is not always the case.

A local church just sold its building. Good people there. But what if they decided to take their building fund and minister to the disadvantaged instead? “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”

Another local church had its pastor retire. Again, all top notch people. But are they absolutely sure that they need to hire a replacement, or is it in the realm of possibility that they don't need a professional, that the talent and gifts already in the congregation are sufficient to meet every need?

One last thing bothers me: Democracy in the Church. We all know that the Founders of our country regarded democracy as an undesirable form of government akin to tyranny, so why would the Church want to be democratic? The early church made its decisions with prayer and fasting in the counsel of the elders. There is no biblical mention of the Church voting on anything.

None of this is intended as condemnation. I have been to many, many churches in the valley, and the caliber of people is remarkable in each and every one. All I'm suggesting is perhaps there are alternatives to doing church business as usual.

If the Church truly wants to be a moving force in society, it needs to embrace its call to be salt and light. If it wants to make a difference, let it be a voice of righteousness and purity. The Church has hid inside its buildings for too long. It is fact that when the church is active in the world, the world is a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment