Disclaimer: Some postings contain other author's material. All such material is used here for fair use and discussion purposes.

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Neil deGrasse Tyson, hero - FB conversation

FB friend S.B. posted this:

Just a few seats left for tonight, a few more tomorrow

Neil deGrasse Tyson - Tickets - Cordiner Hall - Walla Walla, Wa - September 12th, 2014


A.V.: how are any tickets left???

S.B.: Yeah I don't understand either

Me: It may surprise you, but most people don't regard him as some sort of hero.

S.B.: A lot of folks do respect him a great deal Rich. He's been selling out larger venues in major cities with tickets going in excess of $200.

I sure can't draw crowds like that. Lol

K.J.: Anyone who can influence even one child to be interested in science and learning is a hero in my book.

D.C.: @Rich, Neil is not your hero. What he is an amazing critical thinker that can cut through the BS in pretty much anyone's flawed way of thinking. He is very good at taking what people incorrectly call Theories and turns them back into crackpot hypothesis that do not stand up to scientific scrutiny. What makes him a hero to many is that he has a talent many people wish they had. In that sense he is the same kind of a hero as "name your favorite sports player or political figure or religious personality".

Me: I did not say he was not my hero. There's no need to defend him since I did not criticize him. I simply pointed out that he's not everyone's hero. He can be yours, but I really don't care.

D.C.: @Rich, so you just went out of your way to point out the obvious? No one in the history of mankind is a hero to "most" people. If you really don't care, then why do you just post random pointless thoughts? (these points are rhetorical - no need to answer; you can just think about them before you post comments)

Me: I think I was clear that I don't care who YOU find to be a hero. More power to you. Nor do I really care what you consider pointless or obvious. But please feel free to police the thread for people who violate your sensibilities.

M.P.: @Rich I think what folks are reacting to is why you felt the need to mention his non-hero status to us all when nothing in the post or comments before your line claimed him to be such, to the world or an individual, yet you felt the need to "go there".




Me: Someone expressed astonishment that there were tickets left. I supplied a reason.

M.P.: No, you talked about hero status, not ticket status. People can like a show just because, not thinking they need to see a hero.

Me:  Feel free to parse and analyze my brief comment about a man who is regularly lionized. As Scott said, a lot of folks respect him a great deal, and he commands $200 ticket prices. But using the word "hero," well, that's just beyond the pale.

No comments:

Post a Comment