Disclaimer: Some postings contain other author's material. All such material is used here for fair use and discussion purposes.

Friday, October 19, 2012

Selective outrage over Sudan - FB conversation

F.B. friend J.L. posted this:

I can't get over this today. Nor can I tell you who torques my tuna fish more... The worthless animal who stole this young girls future or the progressive blow hards who will be undoubtedly be advocating for this maggots rights. LIFE is not priceless. INNOCENT LIFE is... Note to all the anti DP minions... Jessica Ridgeway and her family are the VICTIMS...


Cops Find Body in Jessica Ridgeway Search

S.F.: If you don't don a powdered wig and robes for All Hallows Eve it would be a crying shame. Admit it. You value some innocent lives more than others. I never hear any spittle-flying outrage over the little kids we blow to bits "over there."  A very sad state of affairs. Very sad for everyone. I grieve.

J.L.: Your assumptions are ugly S.L.. Make zero mistake, red, yellow black or white... If you are a innocent victim of senseless violence my advocacy will always be spent on your behalf. And yes, even gay people. And the DP is more than appropriate for anyone who robs someone of their life in the most heinous ways... What has turned you so hateful btw...

S.F.:  That was not assumptions. That was based on the data I've received. The portrait-I just came across it by accident. It made me very sad. I was agreeing with you-just with a less obvious victim is all. Hateful? Me? Jeez....you really have no idea about me, do you? You ATTACK so hard, then call me hateful? I am merely trying to expose you to other points of view. You get so threatened so easily. Mellow out dude. Take a fuckin tranq. If I'm wrong, and you have, in fact, spoken out with equal vehemence about the kids killed via "collateral damage" I will gladly stand corrected. Very, very gladly.

J.L.: I have never posted about children in the Sudan or any other war torn country or province where innocent lives are taken in such brutal fashion. Now, how does this revelation subtract from, or lessen the condemnation I have so eloquently ( smile it's funny) expressed for this little girl? I am having a tough time correlating why my presumed ignorance of the socioeconomic landscape in war torn Iraq, and or my failure to pontificate on these atrocities results in the last hours of this young girls life being any less horrific??? Or why my outcry for justice somewhere else in the world would further validate my desire for swift justice in this case in your eyes?? My "ATTACK" was one of indignation. And geared in the direction of anyone who could perpetrate such violence on another human being... But even more so (in my view) on a child. I hold anyone who would like to or has raped a woman in the same regard. These two crimes (for reasons unknown to me) I have always found personally despicable. It is my hope that given my strong feelings about this child, it could go without saying that I condemn ANY acts of violence and or abuse against ALL children. Evidently not...
And your attempt to "expose me to other points of view"? Honestly, does that not sound the least bit condescending to you? I assure you, with all due respect, I am as well read and socially/worldly conscious as you are...
I am neither angry or mad. As we debate one another we express our OPINIONS to one another.There is nothing to be right or wrong about...

Me: J.L., you apparently have a friend that thinks it's her unsolicited job to expose you to other points of view, I guess because you're so narrowminded. How do you feel about that?

J.L.: She is actually a very old friend of mine and I love her to pieces. I think she holds the distinct position of being the only liberal I can say that about.

S.F.: If I thought J.L. was narrow- minded or worse-stupid, I wouldn't even bother. I love him to pieces and he is the only neoconservative I can say that about.

J.L.: Rich, you can't fault my friend. She lives in the SF Bay area. Last time I heard there was actually up to 20 conservatives living there now! We're gaining!

Me: J.L., my friend, I'm only here to expose you and her to my point of view. I wasn't finding fault, I'm sure she's a wonderful person. But rage is an ugly thing. Exposure to my point of view is now concluded.

J.L.: Rich, the last thing I would ask you to do is censor yourself. Your commentary is as welcome as anybody's. Especially because its so closely mirrors mine!

S.F.: Nice dodge with the sad fact of the Sudanese civil war. Terrible thing. It's not a religious war, it's actually about oil deposits...so we are indirectly involved. But they are not (so far as I'm aware) in our pay. So, I ask again...why is it okay when we blow up some kids because...oops, wrong wedding party? Why is there no outrage from y'all about that? You know, just because someone's ideas do not mirror your own, that does not mean they are any more full of rage than you are. I seem to remember something about "liberal maggots" in a past post, so maybe you ought to look in yourself for that rage you are seeking in me. My point is that I am a bit more upset about state sanctioned and funded atrocities because, well, there seems to be some kind of actual controversy over it's acceptability. No one is going to say-hey if this guy rapes and murders little kids-that's okay, man. It's WORTH it. This confuses the hell out of me. Now, if someone dropped a bomb on your neighborhood because someone's second cousin may have once traded a goat with someone who may have had dinner with a religious extremest I don't think any of you would hesitate for a split second to condemn the action (and pull out your shotguns). We are into our 11th year now, so I gotta ask the question-when will we have had our pound of flesh for the atrocities of 9/11 ? Is it even about that anymore? Was it ever? How many hundreds of thousands of little kids, grandmas, and just regular folks trying to eke out an existence are we entitled to murder before it's enough already? It's not making us "safer," in fact, every time we kill a civilian family with a shrug and a oopsie we earn more enemies. We might as well just give Al Taliban direct funding. That doesn't seem to matter. How many of our own soldiers need to be killed or maimed before it's enough? The fact that those people will NEVER give up fighting our occupation-never,ever,ever (would you?) that doesn't seem to matter either. So I'm just wondering, from the loving, absolutely rage-free contingent-what in the hell DOES matter? And I am no one's minion, buddy-I think you know that damn well. I simply sit around reading books and utilizing my public library-and the inescapable conclusion is-this is a disaster. Our blood and gold wasted while our citizens suffer. You people have no concept-the things I see. The conclusion is that DNA evidence has exonerated hundreds of people on death row. It's not even a question of whether we are killing people innocent of the crime they have been accused of-that is an obvious fact-it's a question of how many? How many more? It doesn't matter that it is more expensive than life without possibility of parole (in my mind a far worse sentence, but then I actually know people who have done hard time), it doesn't matter that it doesn't deter violent crimes. Nothing that makes any practical sense seems to matter anymore. It's just all a bunch of bullshit peppered with "hot button words" like "freedom" and "justice." It's an upside down world, that's a fact. Love you Jeff, and Peace Out Suckah. Keep rockin it, but I'll never say that any of this is okay with me.

Me: Yeah, Jeff, answer the question. Why don't you have a proper amount of outrage over (insert S.L.'s preferred issue here)? Don't you know that when you mention something you're outraged about, that if you didn't mention (insert S.L.'s preferred issue here), you are uncaring. And while you're at it, take some more time to answer her irrelevant tangents that she brings up for no apparent reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment