Disclaimer: Some postings contain other author's material. All such material is used here for fair use and discussion purposes.

Thursday, March 4, 2021

Charity Gayle and the Self-Idolatry of Modern Worship Music - By REFORMATION CHARLOTTE

Found here. Our comments in bold.
---------------------

Oh, my. Reformation Charlotte has completely embarrassed themselves. This is what happens when someone sets themselves up as the Arbiter of Truth. 

An unfortunate woman, Charity Gayle, came into their crosshairs, and they blast away at her in a manner completely absent "charity." Why? She performed a song that Reformation Charlotte deems to be too self-referential. While we happily concede there are many songs out there that are overly self-focused, this is not one of those.

Whether or not one considers this to be a proper worship song is not the purpose of our fisk. We are here to examine Reformation Charlotte.

Here's the complete text of the song:
V1: I was lost in shame, could not get past my blame
Until He called my name, I’m so glad He changed me

V2: Darkness held me down, (but) Jesus pulled me out
I’m no longer bound, I’m so glad He changed me

Pre: See I’m, a new creation in Christ, the old has gone, there’s new life
I live by faith, not by sight

Chorus: There is a new name written down in glory 
And it’s mine, yes it’s mine
I’ve met the author of my story 
And He’s mine, yes He’s mine

V3: Sin had left me blind, but, Jesus opened my eyes
Now I see His light, I’m so glad He changed me

V4: Now I’m walking free, I’ve got the victory
(see) It’s all over me, I’m so glad He changed me

Bridge: I am who I am because the I Am tells me who I am
So why do we claim that Reformation Charlotte should be embarrassed? Well, there's a hymn by C. Austin Miles called "A New Name in Glory," written in 1910:
1 I was once a sinner, but I came, pardon to receive from my Lord.
This was freely given, and I found, that He always kept His word.

Chorus: There's a new name Written down in glory, and it's mine, 
oh yes, it's mine!
And the white-robed Angels sing the story, "a sinner has come home."
For there's a new name written down in glory, and it's mine,
oh yes, it's mine! 
With my sins forgiven I am bound for heaven, nevermore to roam.

2 I was humbly kneeling at the cross, fearing naught but God's angry frown,
When the heavens opened and I saw that my name was written down. 

3 In the Book 'tis written, "Saved by grace." Oh, the joy that came to my soul!
Now I am forgiven, and I know by the blood I am made whole. 
Clearly Ms. Gayle is singing an adaptation loosely based on the lyrics of this hymn. Why is this important? Because Reformation Charlotte opens their screed with praise for "traditional Christian hymns," completely unaware that Ms. Gayle's song is based on a "traditional Christian hymn."

Embarrassing.

In addition, Reformation Charlotte tells us that modern worship songs are bad because they are focused on self. So let's consider the lyrics of some old hymns:
* Amazing grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. 
I once was lost, but now I'm found, was blind but now I see.

* And when I think, that God, His Son not sparing; Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in; 
That on the Cross, my burden gladly bearing, He bled and died to take away my sin.

* At the cross, at the cross, where I first saw the light
And the burden of my heart rolled away
It was there by faith I received my sight
And now I am happy all the day

* When the roll is called up Yonder,
I'll be there

* Great is thy faithfulness, Great is thy faithfulness
Morning by morning new mercies I see
All I have needed thy hand hath provided
Great is thy faithfulness, Lord unto me

* Take my life and let it be consecrated, Lord, to Thee.
Take my moments and my days, let them flow in endless praise.
Take my hands and let them move, At the impulse of Thy love.
Take my feet and let them be, swift and beautiful for Thee.
We would suggest that it is difficult to sing about the great things God has done apart from the idea that He done great things for us. And it certainly isn't rare that songs, both new and old, are about what God has done for us.

We should also consider the Psalms:
Ps. 3:3 But you are a shield around me, O LORD; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head.
Ps. 13:6 I will sing to the LORD, for he has been good to me.
Ps. 16:5 LORD, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure.
Ps. 30:2 LORD my God, I called to you for help and you healed me.
Ps. 49:15 But God will redeem my life from the grave; he will surely take me to himself.
Ps. 71:14 But as for me, I shall always have hope; I will praise you more and more.
It's a good thing Reformation Charlotte doesn't have the same standard for the psalmist.

Lastly,  Ms. Gayle sings "I am who I am because the I Am tells me who I am." Reformation Charlotte takes issue: "the name 'I am' is reserved for God..." The nonsense of this should be self-evident to any person casually acquainted with the English language. 

"I am" is ἐγὼ εἰμί (egō eimi), I exist, I am. "I Am" is the specific personal identification made to Moses by Yahweh:
Ex. 3:13-15 Moses said to God, “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what shall I tell them?” 14 God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I AM has sent me to you.’” 15 God also said to Moses, “Say to the Israelites, ‘The LORD, the God of your fathers — the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob — has sent me to you.’ This is my name for ever, the name by which I am to be remembered from generation to generation."
Jesus echoed this statement of eternality, which is what so offended the Pharisees:
Jn. 8:58 “I tell you the truth,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!” (egō eimi)
The use of the word is not automatically a claim to deity. Or perhaps Paul is making a claim to deity?
Ro. 11:1 I ask then: Did God reject his people? By no means! I am an Israelite myself, a descendant of Abraham, from the tribe of Benjamin.
Ro. 11:13 I am talking to you Gentiles. Inasmuch as I am the apostle to the Gentiles, I make much of my ministry...
1Co. 7:7 I wish that all men were as I am.
1Co. 15:10 But by the grace of God I am what I am...
Reformation Charlotte seems to think that every use of the phrase "I am" is a statement of eternality as opposed to a statement of personal status. This is clearly not the case, and it is puerile to think otherwise.
-------------------------
Traditional Christian hymns have for centuries carried the Church through difficult times as well as good times. These old hymns–theologically rich and focused on the one who binds all believers together–have a way of connecting the Church to the great progenitors of the faith and, ultimately, to God himself.

The purpose of worship is to draw the attention of the worshiper to the greatness of God, to worship Him for who He is. Worship is the natural by-product of a soul who has “tasted and seen” the goodness of God–it is not natural for an unregenerate soul to desire to worship God.

Today, what the Church calls “worship” is generally tantamount to a gospel of self-affirmation cloaked in a bit of Bible language–mostly taken out of context. The hymns many churches sing are self-focused and draw attention to the state of the person worshiping rather than on the God who commands all worship. Even the songs that are theologically accurate are still focused on the affirmation of self and “who I am” because of God rather than who God is. 

This is clear in the lyrics of so many popular modern contemporary “worship” songs by popular groups like Hillsong and Bethel and artists such as Kari Jobe–all of whom have been previously written about at this blog. But another up-and-rising star in the modern contemporary worship movement is Charity Gayle.

A time will come when instead of shepherds feeding the sheep, the church will have clowns entertaining the goats! –Charles Spurgeon

Charity Gayle is a worship leader at Big House Church in Spring, TX, and is married to one of the pastors, Ryan Kennedy. Gayle is gaining popularity in Evangelical churches through much of her music, like Amen, which boasts, in her own words, a “powerful voice” with a “fresh yet reminiscent sound.” In short, people think Gayle’s music sounds really good to the ear–and, admittedly, it does. But what it lacks is good theology, the right focus, and reverence to God.

One of Gayle’s most popular songs today is a song called New Name Written Down in Glory. On the surface, and from the title, it sounds like it might be okay. But is it? Let’s look at the lyrics.

A quick look at the lyrics reveals from a conservative count that the words “I,” “me,” “my,” or “mine” are repeated at least 101 times. Compared to “He,” “Jesus,” or any reference to God, 25 times. And, even when Jesus is mentioned, it’s only in reference to what He has done “for her.”

I’m so glad He changed me…
But Jesus pulled me out…
Jesus is mine…and He’s mine…

“Mine,” “mine,” “mine,” … that’s what this song is about.

The song is so full of references to herself that one wonders if Jesus even has any part in her worship experience. She seems to be so happy now about who she is and what she has; 

“There is a new name written down in glory
And it’s mine, yes, it’s mine.”

But perhaps the worst part of this song is when they begin a refrain towards the end that really takes the focus off of God and places it directly on themselves, in one of the most blasphemous, self-affirming ways, even by invoking the name of God for themselves. And it’s repeated eight times in succession.

I am who I am because the I Am tells me who I am
I am who I am because the I Am tells me who I am
I am who I am because the I Am tells me who I am
I am who I am because the I Am tells me who I am
I am who I am because the I Am tells me who I am
I am who I am because the I Am tells me who I am
I am who I am because the I Am tells me who I am
I am who I am because the I Am tells me who I am

Anyone who actually worships God knows that the name “I am” is reserved for God, yet, blasphemers like Joel Osteen and Steven Furtick regularly take this name and apply it to themselves. Now, through the musical apostasy of self-loving idolaters like Charity Gayle and her band, this prosperity gospel garbage is now being mainstreamed in Evangelical churches across the globe. If you don’t believe me, watch this garbage below and see how simple-minded pew-sitters react as they praise and worship themselves during this that they call “worship.”

It’s time churches abandon this junk and get back to worshiping the one true God.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this Rich. Totally agree with your rebuttal of Reformation Charlotte...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think both sides need a little balance. As much as Charlotte may misread Gayle, you misread Charlotte equally so.

    There is self focused music - as you have mentioned - and there are hymns that reference self - as you have mentioned. Both true

    The info you don't have is - what does Charlotte actually think of those hymns? Maybe she would say the same thing about some of those hymns. Check that first.

    In regard to the other hymns, compared to Gayles music. Just because they both refer to self in some way, does not mean they refer to self equally. One might refer to self in the pejorative to bring to light the work of God (Amazing Grace). Others refer to self as if they self is the good part of the song without equal attribution to the face that God has done all the work.

    Balance it and both you and Charlotte would have a better article. Maybe even get her comment on the things you are unsure of her position on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. thanks for your comment. I am not a news reporter obligated to tell both sides of the story. I'm not interested in balance.

    I am a commentator expressing an opinion about Reformation Charlotte's foolishness.

    If you desire more or better information, you can seek it out yourself.

    ReplyDelete