Disclaimer: Some postings contain other author's material. All such material is used here for fair use and discussion purposes.

Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Here's how I got unfriended

I posted this on FB:

A system is a purposeful structure, constructed and maintained by its organizers. Structures cannot continue to exist apart from intentional maintenance.

A system is not a sentient entity, so it cannot be racist. Systemic racism is not possible without racists. A system will not continue to exist without systemizers. Thus it is impossible for a system to persist without those who would feed it.

Since the current system expresses incidents of racism, then we must ask, who is in charge of the system?

As we survey the places across the nation where racism seems to be a significant problem, we note that all of these places are controlled by Democrats. In addition to Minneapolis, we find that Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, and Seattle are all current racism hotspots, and all of them have been governed by Democrats for decades.

If those in control of the system have not changed the system, we would surmise they are in agreement with its results.


A now-former FB friend responded:

Interesting, however all the hoops I have jump through and the systemic racism that I have faced have always been local? I face racism everyday! I get followed in stores, I get ask if my scholarships are tribal, when in fact I get my scholarships based off gpa. Why then does my family get watched, why is it so hard to get a job when I have 4 degrees? Why does my husband get judged for a gang banger all the time? Is it because he’s black? and why won’t white people talk to me about racism? As big as blm , mmiwg, is right now not one person white person has asked me how I feel about it locally. Why do murders and missing women of native and black culture go unsolved? How then can you judge racism when you have not faced it? You are an example of white privilege, and we need you as an ally for change. It is not so blue and red it is a system that is broken entirely and complex. I’ve lived in a republican state my whole life and I have always been afraid of white people, always cautious, always alert and always surrender to their judgement. I have so many more stories of racism in this very red state, ones that would make you cringe. I don’t not agree you with but I know your heart we, need people like you as ally’s for change ❤️ Jesus did not see color

So I answered:

I am honored by your response. Since you asked some questions, I will try to answer to the best of my ability.

First, let me tell you about me. My Indian name is Na-tu-se, which means sun boy, given to me by an old matriarch in an East Glacier bar 25 years ago. One of my most precious spiritual fathers in the faith is Blackfeet (I gave Mitchell a book written by him). This man honored me in front of other First Nations people by telling them I was one who took part in identificational repentance for the past horrors whites perpetrated against Indians. (“Identificational” means one who stands in the place of others and repents on their behalf).

I tell you these things not to brag, but to help you understand me. Honestly, this is one of the reasons we have invited you to eat with us so many times. We want to foster understanding, but not just that. We want friendship, and to impart and receive blessing.

Ok, enough of me. So, my post was not to deny racism. I think you know that. There are indeed racists, and some of them are virulent. My post was to deny the idea that a system could be racist if there were no racists in the system. Such an idea is preposterous, because systems are created and maintained by people. A racist system requires racist people.

Your list of racist incidents is of great concern to me. No one should have to experience these things. I am sorry you have. But hearts need to be changed, not systems. People need to repent, not systems. Individuals need to love, not systems.

You know, Mitchell is a big, intimidating-looking guy. He looks like he could beat just about anyone in a fight. Plus he’s very quiet, which conveys strength and power. No one would want to mess with that, let me tell you. Of course, that is not his personality, it’s only his image. I’m sure some do judge him on his skin color, but I think the magnitude of his physical presence might explain at least a part.

Respectfully, you don’t know that I haven’t experienced racism. In fact you are wrong. You are stereotyping me according to the color of my skin. And I categorically reject the idea of white privilege, which is a political term designed to label and dismiss people and take their voice away.

Why won’t whites ask you about how you feel about race issues? Well, I think it’s because they’re afraid of getting lectured. Not by you specifically, but just in general. No one wants to be lectured about how they’re evil and racist and they just don’t want to admit it, how they’re part of the problem, or how they don’t care enough.

Really, that’s the perception many whites have. It’s not that they don’t care, it’s that there’s a perception of a wall that says “Don’t talk to me, don’t even look at me” that whites do not want to butt up against. My dad would call it having a chip on one’s shoulder. I’m not saying it’s right, I’m saying it’s reality for some whites.

I am your ally, Winter. Not because you are First Nations, but because you are my sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment