Disclaimer: Some postings contain other author's material. All such material is used here for fair use and discussion purposes.

Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Forcing your beliefs is wrong - FB Conversation

A FB friend shared this post: 

Image may contain: one or more people
Daneen: Hatefulness usually is seen in actions and words and affiliations.... tolerance is good but stupid tolerance got us where we are today.

Julie: That's why many of us that identify with Christian values are ATTACKED daily. You can't honor only Islam and forget the Jews...Or Christianity..Or Forrest worshippers....People CHOOSE their belief, it's called free will and if they want to follow Radical Islam or Jim Jones, and WE say anything, somehow WE'RE considered evil. That's why people stood up and were persecuted for knowing and recognizing evil. It's coming.



Ozie: Julie. The reason many with "Christian values" get attacked. Is because they continue to force their belief on a people (country) in which not everyone shares the same values. Including abortion rights, Gay marriage and the separation of church and state. To name just a few. And. The fact that many Christians believe Christianity (and it's values) should be the first and last word. When it comes to implementing state and federal laws. Yes. the United States is a melting pot. But only when it comes to loyalty to country and government. One religion. Was never Included in our first amendment. Nor. That one religion should prevail over all other religions. Religious persecution and the freedom to practice their own faith. Was one of the reasons people originally came hear..

Me:  Ozie, been following the conversation, late to the party...

Your comment to Julie seems odd. You talk about forcing beliefs, but isn't it equally forcing a belief to tell someone they can't force a belief? Why should a Christian accept that belief?

Tami Lynn: Rich, you do not have to believe that seperation of church and state is right...but our constitution says it is the law. 

You can argue the point and vote for people who support you, but in America we are suposed to follow the law which is based on the constitution and guarentees freedome of religon. You can chose to be Christian, Muslim, Jewish, or any other religon you decide and our LAWS still support you. 

Our Nation was not founded on Christianity. It was founded by people who were escaping the religous persucution in the old world and who felt strongly that we each should be able to follow whatever religon we chose.
Tami Lynn: Those laws equally protect you. Supose we had a Muslim President who told you that you had to worship Allah. Suppose he tried to ban immigration from all Christian Nations because he believed Christianity was voilent. He said, "Look at the Crusades and all who have died for the cult of Christianity...We do not want to risk bringing more Christians to America! All Christians must first be Vetted to make sure they are safe!"

Would THAT be ok?

Me: Tami Lynn , I'm thinking you did not read my post. I asked how it was any different to impose your belief that you should not impose your beliefs.

John: Tami Lynn I agree, and don't forget, freedom of religion means the choice of having no religion.


Tami Lynn:  Rich, I did read your post. I explained it has nothing to do with imposing my belief...it has to do with following the law. 

The Constitutional law states you do not habe the right to impose your beliefs on another. 


You can believe it is alright all you want, but you cannot do it without breaking the law.

Me: Tami Lynn That is a Category Error. I did not bring up the law. I asked why it was ok to impose your views regarding religious expression on others, but they can't on you. 

The Constitution does not say that about me. The First Amendment tells government what it can't do. "Congress shall make no law..."

I did not state anything about what I thought was alright. Again, it appears you didn't read my post.



Tami Lynn It is not my oppinion or my belief. I did understand you, completly. I did not say it was alright for me to impose my beleif on you. Its not. 

I was explaining that it doesnt matter what you or I think and believe. 


The Government must follow the law and the LAW states that we can not force our belief on someone else. Whether or not you believe that is right, that is the law.

Daneen: Tami Lynn, good grief, it’s you who doesn’t read the posts... I didn’t support Obama, but I didn’t act like all these fools who don’t support our president today!! I think I’ll pull a Democrat and say...I’m finished with this conversation lol. I’ve got better things to occupy my time right now than to sit here and argue an issue that isn’t going anywhere! Whether it’s Christian, Muslim or Hindu or whatever... it has no business putting into play ideology’s!!! The morality of our nation sucks.. there was separation of church and state for a reason... and don’t tell me a Muslim wouldn’t try to change our way of life and circumvent our constitution... we’ve already seen it happen!! Have a wonderful day.... bye


Me: Tami Lynn, I'll type really slowly, so you understand. When you tell someone that they can't impose their beliefs, you're imposing your belief about what they can't say. Get it?

The law does not tell any person what they can or cannot say about religion. Period. End of story.

Tami Lynn: And this is my point exactly. Seperation of State is there for a reason. Believe it or not, I am a Christian and I do not want anyone else imposing their beliefs on me. This is exactly why I must support the seperation of Church and State....and THAT my dear, means I do NOT discriminate against Muslims or any other persons right to chose their religon...regardless of my personal belief...its why we cannot allow our President to block anyone from our country based soely on their religon.


Tami Lynn: Yes Rich, you are right. I cannot tell anyone what they have to believe...but our Government has an obligation to accept any persons right to believe what they choose. I can believe in the great purple Goddess of Venus if I choose and it would not give my government the right to exclude me from our Nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment