Disclaimer: Some postings contain other author's material. All such material is used here for fair use and discussion purposes.

Friday, August 30, 2013

Property rights - FB discussion

I posted this:

"Property rights, like all rights, are a right of action. A right to freedom of action. It is more than a right to the property as a physical object, it is a right to do with it as you please. For if you are not free to use your property as you wish, then what good is your right to claim it?"

L.B.: You sound like a good Englishman. Ownership, property rights, mine, mine, mine. This was all brought to this continent by the British, and I really do believe the people in this country are still British. Look how they slobbered over the birth of the new little king, and the royal marriage. I believe the concept of land ownership is rebellion against the one who owns all of creation. The Native Americans had it right; they believed that the land could not be owned by a man but that it all belonged to the Creator. All land and property belongs to YHWH God and we are only blessed with the privilege to use it. We all need to give our property rights back to Him and see what He wants us to do with it. That is the only right you have. Doing what we please is rebellion against God.. I preached this in a church one time and the pastor told me that if I ever wanted to preach there again not to preach that message. lol. Its the truth baby!!!

Me: I was not intending to comment on spiritual matters, only on legal principles under our system. Of course everything belongs to God! My purpose was to contrast with the leftist idea that the government has the power to impede legal property rights.

Property ownership was a deeply ingrained principle in the Hebrew people. All the tribes received a portion of the promised land except the levites. Every seven years, it all reverted back to the original owners.

So, my question is, how did God give the land to Israel if they did not possess it? Ge. 17:8: "The whole land of Canaan, where you are now an alien, I will give as an everlasting possession to you and your descendants after you; and I will be their God.”

I agree with much of what you said, but I wonder if the concept of stewardship can be demonstrated from the Scriptures? Your thoughts?

L.B.: Psalm 24:1 (Your favorite scripture) "The earth is YHWH God's and all of it's fullness, the world and those who dwell therein." more later

S.W.: I'm ok with people owning property and doing with it as they please, but if you have you car radio blasting in my cul-de-sac at 2:00 a.m., those right will be abridged.

L.B.:  Think about it. Do you really own your land or do you just have permission to think you own it?

Me: I do not think I own my land. That's the purpose of my post. If someone else can tell me what to do with the land I supposedly hold the deed to, then my ownership is diminished because the property serves someone elses' interest, not mine. And, if I don't pay my property taxes, the government can take the land and sell it. Clearly I don't own property.

S.W.: I do subscribe to the thought that six feet is all the land a man ever really needs, and chances are that he will hold that piece longer than any other. By that time, ownership questions are moot.

Me: Ownership includes the power to decide the disposition of the property after you die. But as a practical matter, you are correct.

L.B.: Who do you think really owns the land? The Queen, the Pope, the USA Corporation?

S.W.: On the other hand, I happened upon a guy inside of one of the family's properties who claimed that he "...didn't think it belonged to anyone..." Some call him a Free Spirit; the court called him a Burglar.

Me: The US government has final say on all property and its use and disposition.

Me: Here is an example. This IRS decision changes the nature of how property is treated/taxed/not taxed. Regardless of the issue of homosexuality, clearly the government assumes the power to make these kinds of decisions about peoples' property.
I.R.S. to Recognize All Gay Marriages, Regardless of Statewww.nytimes.com



No comments:

Post a Comment