Disclaimer: Some postings contain other author's material. All such material is used here for fair use and discussion purposes.

Thursday, January 4, 2024

1962 Chevy stepside build - retrospective


I built this truck in the early 2000s. It had a somewhat rough, though complete body. The truck had been modified/revised/hotrodded by someone who owned a hammer and a bigger hammer. But it was generally intact and complete, and not too many of these trucks are around, so to me it was worth saving.

It had a 350 small block and TH350 when I got it, but it was a hack job install. The motor was installed with a single front mount at the timing cover and chains were bolted to each head to keep it from rocking side to side. The trans mount was 3 pieces of angle iron "welded" together. And the stock rear end was toast.

In addition, the motor had a pair of aluminum M & T valve covers on it, which I later discovered had no internal baffles. So whenever I would corner the oil would splash up into the breather and leave behind a big cloud of blue smoke.

A lot had to be done. 

I built some stock-style side motor mounts and bought an aftermarket trans crossmember. I also found a 12 bolt truck rear end and welded on suspension mounts. I found the right power steering box to fit, adapted it to the stock column, cleaned up the interior and put in bucket seats I found at a local salvage yard. I also re-wired it and put brakes and shocks on it.

I don't have any in-process photos of the mechanicals, but since the bodywork and paint was hired out I took several photos of that. The first guy agreed to do the bodywork and paint, but he sort of lost interest in it. After 18 months of seeing it sit out in the weather in bare metal I finally had enough and came and got it.

Interestingly, the work he did do was very nice. I wish he would have finished it but that was not to be. I took it to fellow number two and he finished up the cab but couldn't get around to the box. So I took it to guy number three and asked him to put in the metal bed floor I salvaged from a mid-seventies square body. 

That fellow did good work and finished it up. 

This sort of thing is too common in the restoration field. Production body guys don't realize the time and effort needed to do a classic vehicle paint job. They are used to simply hanging on new sheetmetal and filling the occasional ding and dent. So the first guy underbid it and basically stopped after he realized he had spent the entire estimate.

This is why I now do my own bodywork now. I take months to do what a pro could do in weeks, but at least I know what I've done, and my time is free to me. 

I put the truck back together, drove it for a while, and traded it for the Camaro coupe.

Here are the in-process pics:




And here is the completed truck:




One thing not in these pics is the roll pan I installed under the tail gate with recessed tail lights. 

This was a truck I wish I still had. It has a great look with great lines. My wife gave it the name "Barney."

No comments:

Post a Comment