Disclaimer: Some postings contain other author's material. All such material is used here for fair use and discussion purposes.

Tuesday, November 6, 2018

How do I evaluate claims of supernatural experiences? - by Clint Archer

Found here. My comments in bold.
---------------------

Once again we find a Bible teacher not providing any Bible references, or any references of any sort.
---------------------

Previously I address the issue of modern day prophets as well as the question of the harm that comes from claims of extra-biblical revelation. But there is another question that frequently follows on the heels of those:

What do I say to someone who tells me they have a word for me?

Here’s my attempt at a reply in fewer than 500 words…

Every claim of supernatural experience is either true or false; and if it’s false, it’s either a lie or a delusion. (Third choice: It's mistaken. Imperfect people behave imperfectly. The author does us a disservice by insinuating motives of malice.

Further, it is not for the author to determine why something might be false. His only scriptural obligation is to weigh it.

In fact, in the case of a prophetic word, it might not be true now, but may be true later. 

The issue is considerably more nuanced than the author's simple binary choice.)

I borrow this taxonomy from C. S. Lewis’ famous multiple choice of Jesus’ claims: Son of God/ devil of hell/ lunatic who believes he is a poached egg.

If someone claims to have a true word from God for me, the burden of proof lies with the claimant. (Spectacularly incorrect. The Bible does not teach this. Scripture places the burden of discernment with the hearers. 
1Co. 14:29 Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said.
1Jn. 4:1 Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
Ro. 12:2 Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is — his good, pleasing and perfect will.
1Th. 5:20 do not treat prophecies with contempt. 21 Test everything. Hold on to the good.
2Co. 13:1 Every matter must be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.
It's very nearly astonishing that this man does not know this.)

So, if I say I’m Superman I need to do more than remove my glasses and rip open my shirt to show an “S” emblazoned on my chest. To be credible I would need to defy gravity, melt metal with my thermal gaze, and/or lift the nearest minivan. (A banal, exaggerated analogy that does not compare to the evaluating prophecy. It presumes the automatic falseness of the claim because the claim is ridiculous and the evidence required would be extraordinary.

This is not the way prophecy is tested.)

When Christians claim to have met Jesus, performed a miraculous healing, received knowledge from God about someone else’s life, they are asking their hearers to take the claim without the proof. (No, they are not. And by the way, where is it in the Bible that says prophecy must have some sort of proof supplied?) 

We get to say, “No.” But we should do so politely. (1Th. 5:20 do not treat prophecies with contempt.)

When the Apostles claimed to receive revelation from Jesus, they could, at will, demonstrate irrefutable supernatural power through miraculous healing or speaking in tongues. (Undocumented claim. In fact, patently false. What miraculous work did Agabus perform [Acts 11:28]? Philip's four daughters [Acts 21:9] Barnabas, Simeon called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Manaen, and Saul [Acts 13:1]? Judas and Silas [Ac. 15:32]

In fact, Scripture teaches just the opposite. 1Co. 12:29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles?)

My firm belief though is that no one, in fact, has a true revelation from God today. (Undocumented claim. 

But we're sure the author willingly sits through or preaches sermons. These extra-biblical presentations don't seem to bother cessationists for some reason.)

So how do we then deal with these claims, kindly but decisively?

I give the claimant the benefit of the doubt and I assume that he is not blatantly trying to deceive me. I assume rather that he was imagining something or quite possibly using terminology that signifies something different to him than it does to me.

For example, if a person says “God told me to quit my job,” I assume that he does not mean he heard an audible voice, but rather that he means he had a strong desire to quit his job that he (erroneously) believes God somehow endorsed or confirmed or revealed to him. In this case, I would caution him to check that he has followed the biblical pattern for making decisions, checking the Bible to see if his decision is sinful, confirming its wisdom through prayer and the counsel of elders or other godly friends. (He mentions the Bible but can't be bothered to quote it.)

If someone presents me with a word or revelation which he claims is from God for me, I am under no obligation to accept what he says. If he is using loose terminology and he really just means that he has some biblical counsel for me, then I will hear him out and evaluate it on the basis of Scripture.

If, however, he claims some direct revelation from God, then he’s expecting more from me than what he’s entitled to. My obligation is to believe the Bible – that’s all. (This is an unbiblical claim, for we have noted above what the process really is. 

In fact, he tacitly assumes that very process. "Follow the biblical pattern." "Checking the Bible." "Confirming its wisdom through prayer and the counsel of elders." "Evaluate it on the basis of Scripture." 

But then he rejects the entire thing he just presented because of an a priori rejection of the prophetic. Hmm.)

If someone stipulates that they heard God speak audibly, then I assume they are either lying (or at least exaggerating, as in “it was so clear to me that it may as well have been audible”) or that they are actually hearing voices, which is a symptom of mental instability. (This is wildly incorrect. There are more than two choices.
He. 3:7 So, as the Holy Spirit says: “Today, if you hear his voice...
Jn. 10:27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.
Re. 3:20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.
So far the author hasn't made a single biblical claim, or cited a single verse.)

When I encounter this type of claim I try to politely explain the taxonomy of truth-with-proof/falsehood/delusion, and then say, “I’m sure you respect my right to be skeptical of claims that I can’t verify.” Or, I respond with, “I have great faith in the Bible’s claims and it’s sufficiency for my life; I’m sure you agree that all I really need to please God can be found in the Scriptures.” Sometimes I tell them I’m Clark Kent.

Hope that helps. (No, it doesn't.)

No comments:

Post a Comment